THE COLLABORATIVE MILE
Urban regeneration of Kartner Strasse | Graz | Austria | 2017
#urbanregeneration #strategy #infrastructure #urbandesign
The challenge consists in turning Kärntner Straße, an ordinary access road to the city, into The Collaborative Mile, a well-defined district with specific features (physical, relational and intangible) based on the principles of sharing:
– resource sharing (taking advantage from opportunities and resources of the different actors that operate on the territory);
– knowledge sharing (creating incubators to facilitate short circuiting between ideas and different skills);
– economy sharing (resulting from new productive models -grouping production, services, research and training-, and generated by the new demand posed by new inhabitants);
– transformative capacity sharing (only collaborating and combining resources and goals a transformation that responds to an overall image will be possible).
It is necessary to define:
- the general rules, a system of strategic guidelines based on a decalogue (>> THE RULES) that define the structure and the development principles.
- typologies of intervention (>> THE INGREDIENTS) which, depending on the specified goals and opportunities, can be realized on the territory. They concern: type of buildings, defined in their functional mix, size and formal characteristics; street types (High Street, Active Street, Quiet Street), defined by new road sections and the corresponding buildings density; lastly, the type of public spaces (Multiple surfaces, Community Courtyards, Passages), defined by the public pole to which they are connected (Urban, Starter, Catalyst, Pill), diversified in intensity and attractiveness.
- the operating mechanism (>>THE PROCESS), that is, the procedural method that allows to tactically catch the opportunities that unexpectedly come up over time. The Kärntner Collaborative Agency, a municipal council unit in the Collaborative Mile, will play a key role during the process (in promoting the transformative possibilities between residents and local operators, in supporting projects development, in coordination, in organizing events and in space management).
type: ideas competition
cliente: City of Graz